Olveston & Tockington Methodist Church
Olveston and Tockington Methodist Church was formed in 2004, when the two former village churches united. We still have buildings in each village:
- In Olveston, in The Street: The Chapel (1820) and the Hall (1937), attached to the Chapel.
- In Tockington, on the Green: The Chapel (1897) and the Wesley Rooms (in the Triangle, opposite The Swan)
Our minister from 1st September 2018 is the Rev Simon Edwards (contact details below).
"We seek to worship God, make new disciples for Jesus Christ, and reflect his teaching in the community."
Services are held on Sundays at 10am in either Olveston or Tockington Chapels. See the current issue of Meeting Point for further details.
Some Special Services are occasionally held at 6pm in either Chapel. See the current issue of Meeting Point for further details.
The hall in Olveston and the Wesley Rooms in Tockington are extensively used by groups and organisations within the community. Each has good kitchen facilities, loos, and disabled access. To book the use of the facilities, please contact:
Tockington Church and Wesley Rooms: Garry Phillips 01454 613241
Olveston Hall and the recently re-ordered Olveston Methodist Church: Maggie Spooner 01454 610053
Tockington Church was extensively renovated in 2007; the premises now incorporate a toilet with disabled access, and a kitchenette. At full capacity it seats 60; there is a dais with two lecterns, and provision for IT facilities. The Chapel's acoustics are excellent for musical performances. Seating can be arranged for formal, informal and social gatherings. The Chapel is available for community use; for terms and conditions please contact Garry Phillips on 01454 613241.
Minister: Rev. Simon Edwards 01454 418176
Maggie Spooner 01454 610053
Other activities include:
- A drop-in Computer Clinic for the whole community in Olveston Methodist Hall on Mondays (2-4pm), Wednesdays (10am-12 noon) and Fridays (7-9pm). Ring 07833 354672 or 07957 433091 if you have a computing query and want to check whether the Computer Clinic could help you with it - or just drop in!
- Two Bible Study/Fellowship meetings a month, held in members' homes. For further details, ring Trevor Watkins on 01454 416528.
- Prayer meeting (weekly in Olveston)
- Coffee (Saturday mornings at Olveston)
- Two Luncheon Groups: one meets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month at The White Horse at Northwick, and the other on the 3rd Thursday of the month at The Swan at Tockington
- Cream teas on Bank Holiday Mondays at Tockington
- Annual Harvest Fayre on the Green at Tockington
- We participate, with our friends at St.Mary's, in the work of the Support and Pastoral Care Groups, visiting people who are unwell and delivering plants and sending Get Well cards.