Olveston & District Bowling Club
75 years of Lawn Green Bowling is being celebrated this year at Olveston & District Bowling Club!
History of the Club
Situated at Old Down Sports Ground on the Alveston Road, a mile outside Thornbury, the Club has grown since Colonel C.E.Turner in December 1932 first suggested the idea of having a bowling green for the parish of Olveston. Landowner Captain Harry Salmon gave his permission for one to be sited at The Park at Old Down, with local firm R Pitcher & Sons, under the supervision of St. Andrew's Bowling Club of Bristol, completing the work of laying the green.
The green was officially opened on 22nd July 1933 by Mrs Turner, supported by the Club President Colonel Turner, and had a Membership of 38.
The Club now has over 100 male and female Members with two men's and two ladies' league teams along with various friendly team fixtures throughout the week.
The Club is looking to expand over the next 18 months and hopes to attract players of all ages in 2009, including youngsters still at school. Bowls has a reputation as a game "just for the old". Nothing could be further from the truth, with many of the top awards in the game being won by players in their twenties. There are also competitions to cover all age groups, both locally and nationally.
Anniversary year events
To commemorate the 75th anniversary, several events are planned throughout the season, with one of the highlights being a trip to Windsor to play The Royal Household Bowling Club. Finally, to bring the Anniversary season to a fitting climax, an End of Season Club Dinner & Presentation has been organised for October. The countdown will then begin towards the Club's centenary celebrations in 2032!
How to join
Anyone wishing to join should ring the Club Secretary, Graham Ellis, on 01453 511971.